Friday, February 7, 2014

Feature Friday: Vampire Academy


Based on the New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, the movie version of the first novel hit theaters in the US today.

Unlike many recent young adult novel inspired films, Vampire Academy seems to be looking for both the male and female audience with its mix of humor, fantasy, romance, and action. I love that it's looking to bring more males into the theaters to enjoy this story.

Vampire Academy follows the lives of Rose Hathaway and Lissa Dragomir, two students at the prestigious St. Vladimir's Academy. They're best friends, and they know just about everything about each other. And I mean everything. Because Rose and Lissa aren't normal friends. Lissa is a Moroi, a mortal vampire and a princess to boot, while Rose is her best friend and a Dhampir, a human/vampire hybrid training to be Lissa's guardian. Thanks to an accident, Rose is able to see inside Lissa's mind and emotions and tell when she's in trouble. But when the mysterious Dimitri Belikov steps into their lives, everything begins to change.

I remember the first time I read this book. I did it in a single day because I loved it so much. And I've read it a dozen times since then. It's a great story, least of all because there aren't any brooding vampires--Adrian and Christian notwithstanding. And it's filled with strong and vivid characters who are more than realistic, they're alive.

Although I haven't seen it yet, I fully intend to stop by the nearest theater to see Vampire Academy. 

And I'm going to bet it isn't going to suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment